MINISTRY OF PETROLEUM AND NATURAL GAS
The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas is a ministry of the Government of India endowed with the sole duty of exploration, production, distribution, marketing, import, export and the conservation of petroleum, natural gas, petroleum products and liquefied gas in India.
Activities by the Ministry
1) Exploration and exploitation of petroleum resources including natural gas
2) Planning, development and regulation of oilfield services
3) Production, supply distribution, marketing and pricing of petroleum products
4) Lube blending and greases
5) Additives for petroleum and petroleum products
6) Planning, development and the control of and assistance to all the industries dealt with by the ministry
7) All attached or subordinate offices or other organizations concerned with the subjects in the petroleum industry
8) Administration of:
Several programs have been initiated under the governance of the ministry including:
The Vishakhapatnam Project taken up in a 68 acre of land belonging to both the Vishakhapatnam Port Trust and the Eastern Naval Command.
The Mangalore Project that sits on a 100 acre piece of land belonging to the Mangalore Special Economic Zone Limited.
The Padur Project executed in 160 acres of land, owned by the Karnataka Government and private land holders.
This ministry is headed by the Cabinet Minister, the Minister of Petroleum and Natural gas who is Dharmendra Pradhan at present. Before him, other prominent political leaders held the position as stipulated below:
Involvement in the Public Sector
The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas also has control over several public undertaking companies such as:
• Petroleum Planning and Analysis Cell, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
• Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL). This has the following refineries Bongaigaon, Guwahati and Digboi Refineries in Assam, Panipat Refinery in Haryana, Mathura Refinery in Uttah Pradesh, Haldia Refinery in West Bengal, Koyali Refinery and Barauni Refinery.
• Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL). Has the Mumbai Refinery in Maharashta, Visakh in Andhra Pradesh
• Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC). Has the Tatipaka Refinery
• Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL). Has Mumbai Refinery, Kochi Refinery in Kerala
• Chennai Petroleum Corporation Limited. Has the Manali Refinery and the Basin Refinery